Thursday, November 22, 2012

rockette.

Growing up, my family and I religiously woke up early every Thanksgiving morning to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. 

As kids, we ooh-ed and ahh-ed as our favourite stars (usually Britney Spears and the Backstreet Boys...really now, not much has changed) were on the floats coming down 5th Avenue in New York City. I especially loved watching the university drill teams with the cheerleaders/dance squads perform in front of Macy's at the end of the Parade. As a little girl, I dreamed that might be me when I got to college.

 However, the people I was always most excited to see perform were the Rockettes.


When I was in New York City in September, I told my friend and her husband that I was visiting that they absolutely had to go see the Rockette Christmas Show at Radio Music Hall. I would never be tall enough to be a Rockette, but to me, that was one of the ultimate forms of "making it" in the dance world. 

As an honorary Americanadian, I am celebrating Thanksgiving today as well. I'm so thankful for all the opportunities I've had this past year, and for the friends and family who have supported me at every turn - no matter how sharp. 

This year, I also am making another little dream come true. I am dark-featured and don't have the height of a ballerina, but this year, these long legs finally get to be in a Rockette-like kick line. 

I'm so excited to perform in my next big show, a Christmas cabaret performance appropriately called "Santa Baby!" December 7 and 14 at the Mod Club. I've been so lucky to fall into this social circle with these fabulous women who are so passionate about what we do. 

Want tickets? Leave me a comment or tweet me! They're going fast - make sure to grab yours soon! 





No comments:

Post a Comment