Thursday, February 28, 2013

process.

Whew, what a week it's been so far. Working out at the TV station, dancing, booking clients for social media training...and to cap it off, getting ready to perform this weekend. 

I have been thinking a lot about "the process" this past week. 

With both of my careers, my peers and I spend endless hours  training, researching, interviewing, watching, et cetera until putting together the final product. 

Whether it's an article, television segment or a show, I find the process, though the most  difficult part, can sometimes be my favourite piece of a project. 

True, there are few things better than seeing your name in print or that moment when you step into the lights. However, the process if vital to making that moment happen. 

In a world where it seems like everyone demands to be paid every moment they "work" it was interesting to see what I found off-hours. The process doesn't happen in the nine to five time frame. It happens when you're in an impromptu Can Can dance rehearsal. Or running to the library archive to find a document to quote in once sentence. 

It's through building relationships, keeping your eyes open and most importantly, stepping back. Looking at things from the outside personally help me work more effectively. 

I've said it once, and I'll say it again, so much of this is relates back to what Charlie Skinner says in an episode of one of my favourite shows, The Newsroom. At the end of all the hard work, sometimes we then forget to relish in the result of the process. 


"It's going to be a long night and we need you to work fast and we need you to work well. But once in a while, take three seconds- you can't spare more than that- take three seconds to notice where you are and what you're doing."

Just a thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment