Wednesday, February 20, 2013

annex.

I know it's only the beginning of the afternoon Eastern Time (and just the start of your day West Coasters) but today was off to a meh start for me.

Nothing life or death-worthy, but waking up to find out some details aren't in place can be frustrating. Especially when you're not sure how you can get them back.

Thus, going out for a morning walk to clear my head, reevaluate my options and get a much-needed latte ended up being an impromptu therapy session.

One of the things I'm loving about living in the Annex is the community feel of the neighbourhood. After six months, I'm starting to recognize the shop owners and staff, and when I see my neighbours out and about, it's nice to have a friendly face acknowledge you.

This morning in one of my favourite coffee spots, a barista clearing up the section I was sitting in approached me.

I don't know if she sensed that I was feeling down, but she introduced her self, saying she recognized my face. Her name was Annie, and it turns out she lived just a few blocks over from me as well. We ended up having an impromptu chat about life and the neighbourhood before she had to hustle back to work.

At the end of our chat, she said something to me that I haven't heard in a long time - "You go girl!"

It's like that scene in Sex and the City when Carrie gets in the back a taxi after her book launch. After finding out the party was for Carrie, the female driver gives her a stunning smile and exclaims "That's amazing! Congratulations!" before they take off.

Carrie narrates, "It was kinda of amazing. Why did I need a stranger to remind me?

Not that I've written a book or found a cure for the common cold, I finally understand this moment.

However, this reassurance could have not come at a better time. Thanks Annie, I really appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment