Wednesday, February 6, 2013

fries.

This is probably one of the sweetest videos I have ever seen about love and Valentine's Day. I dare you not to have a smile permanently on your face while you're watching it.



Looking back, my first Valentine and I were probably around this age as well.

I remember being in early elementary school on Valentines Day when we all made little cards, and were very excited to pass them out to every person in the class.

I always made my mother help me make mine by hand with real doilies, glitter and way too much pink (I don't think I ever wanted to buy the pre-made Valentine's Day cards).

I remember moving around the room, putting my handmade cards in every one's mailbox, and when I came back to my desk one of the boys in my class, Alex, was there waiting for me.

He had given every one else a Valentine already but me. Instead, he stood there with my Valentine and a little red box of chocolates, with "Portia" written in cursive on it.

In my six-year-old mind, I was pretty freaked out. I had a crush on a totally different boy in the class, and somehow back then, I had enough knowledge to recognize how much that would hurt Alex to blow him off. Putting yourself out there at that age is no easy feat.

I remember accepting the chocolates and making an effort to sit next to him during the rest of the week in class when I had the chance. I guess I thought that's what a lady would do.

There are two lessons here:

1. Manners at a young make a difference.

2. That little box of chocolates really made me believe in love. It doesn't know any age or limits, just sometimes, the timing isn't right.

I unfortunately moved about a year after this and never saw Alex again. I don't even remember his last name, but man if he's anything still like that little boy, 18 years later, I'd give him a chance again.

No comments:

Post a Comment