Sunday, February 17, 2013

dancelife.

One of the things Toronto is very blessed with is an endless amount of things see and do any night. There's concerts, cabarets, films, parties, flash mobs - whatever you're into, there's something here.

I had the pleasure of attending a few shows this past week that featured dancers and choreographers I greatly admire. At all the venues, I found myself surrounded by so many people I have met at auditions, in class or workshops that I can call my friends.

Two very cool moments happened last night while in the crowded Virgin Mobile Mod Club at the show Urbanesque.

A choreographer who hired me for a flash mob gig a few months back (i.e. a plethora of dancers were hired for us to "mob" the venue) came and up put her arms around me. I was floored that she remembered exactly who I was.

In line for a drink, another woman tapped my shoulder and said, "You're Portia Favro right? I've seen you perform -  I'm a huge fan!"

I was floored.

In a community that really, I have only been a part for about a year, knows who I am. What started out as a stress release while I was at school has blossomed into something else.

I didn't plan to be a part of any of this, but I have fully been pulled in and accepted here.

This industry, like so many, is small but oh-so supportive. It embraces the uniqueness of each performer, cultivates individuality and supports each other. A huge part of the audience at many shows I've either attended or danced in are made up of those in the community.

This is something I haven't seen anywhere else. Perhaps it's because I came from an area where there were just so many dancers, each of us was just a number. And true, we all are a number or just a brunette when we're in an audition. However, once you land the job, it's about personality. It's your character. Your individual dance and performer persona is accentuated here.

Oh man Toronto, it's good to be here.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Portia, you have so much to be proud of! That feeling of acceptance (and a little bit of celebrity) is super rewarding and I can only imagine how happy your heart feels.

    Love this! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete