Saturday, September 1, 2012

tiff.

There's always things happening in Toronto to keep us city folk busy.

Whether it be trying out a new restaurant, exploring a boutique in an area we go to for kicks or staying up too late at a music show at the El Mocambo.

TIFF (Toronto Internation Film Festival) is a whole other story. TIFF mania literally swallows the city, with people looking for the stars (I have had both Brad Pitt and George Clooney sightings in my TIFF repetoire) or looking to be seen at a film premiere.

I have never actually gone to see any of the films at TIFF - between school, work and life, I wish I had the past few years made it to at least one. I have taken in a few of the movies post-TIFF, which is preferable. I'm not one to rush tickets to be in the same theatre as a movie star, but I would like to see one of the films.

Depending if my schedule allows it, there are the five films I am going to try to make the time to see during TIFF. Obviously I don't make it into the same theatre as the current toast of Hollywood, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, but I'll definitely be taking in the gala movies apres TIFF

MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING
Do I even need to explain? Not only is this one of my favourite Shakespeare plays, but it's a contemporary version. I die.


LOOPER
Josephy Gordon-Levitt plays a looper, who has to get rid of people from the future who have time travelled to his era. The problem? His future self (played by Bruce Willis) is his next target.


ANNA KARENINA
Based on the novel about a society woman who must decide whether to follow the chosen "right" path of society or to follow her heart.


ARGO
I'll just use the TIFF description, it's perfect. "Ben Affleck directs and stars in this based-on-fact thriller about a CIA "exfiltration" expert who concocts an outlandish plan to get six stranded Americans out of Tehran after the 1979 invasion of the American embassy — by having them masquerade as a Hollywood film crew."


LOVE, MARILYN
This film looks at the unseen letters, diaries and notebooks of the legendary bombshell, read aloud by contemporary actresses like Uma Thurman and Glenn Close


For more films being shown at TIFF and the descriptions, check out the TIFF website.

No comments:

Post a Comment