Saturday, September 22, 2012

analyze.

Today we wish goodbye to summer and welcome the first day of autumn.

It's one of the most overanalyzed times - the transition period between seasons. However, I want to go about this a little differently this year.

I strongly believe there a many things that you can associate with a time, place or a memory.

For some, it's smell. Whenever I smell the perfume Paris by Yves Saint Laurent, I instantly remember playing dress up in my mother's closet and at her makeup vanity as a child (yes, I was a glitter girl from the start). 

For others, it's taste. My friends and I trade recipes and reminisce about that fabulous cafe here, or that homemade apple pie there.

For a large amount, it's music. It's those songs that come on your iPod you have to listen to it all the way through. 

Last weekend, I had the opportunity to escape Toronto and head up to a friend's cabin in Muskoka. In my car we were blasting The Darkness and while en route, someone said, "Portia, look out the window into the darkness." 

I rolled my eyes, but curiousity got the best of me. I have never seen as many stars there than I did on my way to the cottage in Ontario, and I've lived in both California and British Columbia, where it's wide open space. 

The entire weekend consisted to hanging out on the dock, sipping on beers and bonding with new and old friends while the last of our summer-appropriate music played in the background. 

It was one of those weekends when you think, "Maybe it just won't snow this year."

Sadly, we did have come home to the city, and our crew jelled back into their daily routines. 

Sitting at home wearing a slightly warmer outfit than I was August, one of those songs from my summer playlist came on my shuffle - I instantly smiled, remembering driving somewhere between the Georgian Bay and Toronto, window down and nothing on my mind but that moment.

Hey, maybe we'll get lucky again this year and it won't snow too much.

Here are a few of those songs for me below - what are yours?





No comments:

Post a Comment