Wednesday, September 5, 2012

mantra8.

"A loser isn’t the person who gets involved and comes last,

it’s the person who doesn’t get involved in the first place"

- Shelia Pistorius (mother of Olympian and Paralympian Oscar Pistorius)


I can really relate to this in a lot of facets of my life. Every opportunity, audition, contract, and event is an opportunity.

I also can literally relate to this.

When I started swimming in grade twelve, I felt like the biggest loser finishing last in every single set. I was creamed in all the races. Swimmers half my age (I was only 18!) were speeding past me in the pool.

There were times when we would be swimming the 1,500 metre race and I would be the absolute dead last person in the water.

A lot of people asked why didn't I quit. I was in a competitive age category and wouldn't be able to take down the swimmers my age who had been training their whole lives.

I just really liked the water. And the people. And the lifestyle.

The loser is the one who doesn't get involved.

Months later, I qualified in the women's Division 7 races at Provincials in British Columbia. I was close to last in the pool, but I still came out with a lot more than I had anticipated (including two provincial titles).

I wholeheartedly stand behind Shelia Pistorius's quote - it's the truth and a mantra to take into the start of the month, rest of the year and future.

No comments:

Post a Comment