Tuesday, May 3, 2011

ringling.


On another rainy day, I took the time to head to the nearest theatre to see one of my favourite books, Water for Elephants, made into a film version.

I've always loved the circus. As a kid, I dreamed of running away to be the next acrobat or show girl wearing feathers in her hair and sequins on her costumes. After seeing the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey real circus with horses, elephants and a real ringleader, I fantatized for nights about the performers and life on the road. I applied to the National Circus School in Montreal, but decided that it might be more reasonable at that point to pursue a degree that was not in circus arts.

The movie Water for Elephants absolutely captures that magic of the circus, the struggle for the life of a performer and is just beautifully shot. Each moment, each look, everything is right on. Robert Pattinson and Reese Witherspoon are both flawless - although some parts of the movie differ from the book, they compliment each other very nicely.

As I look over my schedule for my last week in Toronto, summer and next year, I'm excited for the opportunities to come. However, if I see a train pass by my way with a giraffe hanging its long neck out, I may also run away and join the circus for once and for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment