Wednesday, May 18, 2011

funnyface.

Since I have this week off, I've decided to start watching a new movie every time I can. How many times do we say to ourselves in theatres and at the movie store, "I've wanted to see that one!" and never quite got to it? I'm throwing that to the wind and taking the time every evening to enjoy something new.

After too many years passed, I finally downloaded Funny Face for a weeknight movie treat. I saw it eons ago, and forgotten about so much of the fashion, Richard Avedon's artistic and photography influences, and how divine Audrey Hepburn and Fred Astaire are together. Especially when they're dancing.

The movie is delicate, fun and the fashions are so classic and continue influence the way we walk, talk and dress today. I am lusting for nothing more than to hop on a plane to Paris, tour the Champs-Élysées and wear floral dresses like Audrey. As an old movie buff, this film definitely fit the category of "what's old is new again".

I'm a loyal Gleek, and love getting my weekly dose of dance and singing on television - but there's something magical about the 1950s and 60s where the dancing in the films was so organic. Mind you, Fred Astaire is the epitome of the perfect gentleman, and moves like a dream. It was so refreshing to watch something so sweet and romantic, and I've been inspired out of my choreography block after the infamous dance scene in the cafe.

Oh Paris, I hope we can meet someday soon. For now, I'll just have to pretend that I'm the Canadian Audrey, with my dog, her namesake, by my side.


No comments:

Post a Comment