Tuesday, March 15, 2011

woods.

Who's your idol?

There are some amazing people that I've come into contact with in my life and have inspired me to dream big, run for the moon and take chances. My heroes will always be my parents for supporting me with everything. You should read about them here and there - they're pretty special people.

Let's step in another direction, who is a character that you idol? No, because she's pretty and has flawless hair does not count.

Mine is Elle Woods from the filmLegally Blonde.

At first thought, Elle and I could not be more different. First of all, hair colour. I'm dark, and hers headlines the movie. She's a Harvard law student and I struggle to keep my eyes open in the Ethics of Law and Journalism class. Reese Witherspoon will always be captured at age 25 in the movie, whereas I'm just entering my phase or life as a 20-something.

But when I was 11 years old and now a decade later, I still see Elle as the older sister I never had.

Elle is strong, takes no prisoners and above all, is true to herself. She loves pink, sees a lot of the good in the world and instead to breaking down when someone was mean or unfair to her, she rose above them. She studied hard and made herself admirable.

Pause for some of you to gag. I know it's a movie and she's a character.

However, in a world where I find one is looked down upon for being girly, still passionate about education and whimsical, Elle is proof that this woman can exist.

That brings me to my second favourite character - Blair Waldorf. Again, growing up and reading the Gossip Girl novels, I knew that I never wanted to be as mean as she was (and now that I'm obsessed with the TV show, for sure not) but I always admired Blair's attitude. She's sharp in her tone at times, but she's also true to herself. But being who she thought everyone wanted her to be, things didn't work out. Same with Elle. As she tried to be the poster-law-woman, she actually discovered something else true about herself.

So any morals that I can derive from the epitome of the two girliest characters?

Be strong. Be who you are. For some, that means rebelling against fashion and popular music. For me, it's embracing my femininity to the max and wearing high heels to class.

Don't fight it. Enjoy your personality. Who knows? Maybe they'll be making a character inspired by you one day.

"“Never underestimate a woman with a French manicure and a Harvard law degree" - Legally Blonde 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment