Friday, March 4, 2011

sinewy.


I know it's not until next Thursday, but I am absolutely over the moon to have my two pieces being shown at the Kelowna Community Theatre on March 10. I've tried to find a way home, but alas, this is not the time (and my essays for school are still calling my name) for more vacation.

However, I've been getting a lot of questions about the artistic process of choreography after I wrote the story behind my contemporary piece.

I'm into dance that at first glance, may not be aesthetically beautiful to the average Joe. It's not ballet and contemporary that only looks good on dancers with long, sinewy arms. I would rather my dancers, no matter their height, size, etc. really and truly feel their movement and heart in their own moments. If their legs aren't as high up, or feet perfectly pointed as a professional dancer, perfect. That's organically where they are in their movement, and a reflection. The worst is have them act as something they are not.

I keep wondering if the audience is going to understand this.

I got lucky once when I performed in 2007 on that same stage, although it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. It was high school dance show, and of course we were all yelling and cheering our peers on throughout each dance. When I performed and no one said a thing, all I could think about was "you're so weird, they don't get it, I'll be lucky to have one person clap..." but I had to finish. I was terrified for the end.

The audience went nuts. I was known as the Girl in the Pink Dress. Now I have a job or making that magic come again on a group format, four years later.

Will lightening hit twice? I'm excited but terrified. I hope that people are critical. I hope they're easy on me, it's my first performance.

I found this video today that totally encapsulates how I feel as a choreographer. Sonya Tayeh has been my idol since day one, even before she came to fame on So You Think You Can Dance when I watched her at competitions around California. Her explanations and passion are unparalleled, showing the art of dance in the truest form.

"Then come the lights shining on you from above. You are a performer. You forget all you learned, the process of technique, the fear, the pain, you even forget who you are you become one with the music, the lights, indeed one with the dance." - Shirley Maclaine

You can do it girls, wish I was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment