Friday, March 18, 2011

pineapple.

While many of my colleagues were out getting very intoxicated last night, I was getting my chakra's in order in a couple of yoga classes.

Have no fear, I did celebrate earlier in the afternoon (no self-respecting university student can't not participate St. Patty's Day), and I came across a little problem. While trying to pay amongst the hundreds of green-clad counterparts, I found it so awkward to be standing there with my wallet. It's big, clunky and really, I don't need most of the cards I lug around in it.

I'm a hunter. Therefore, I have set forth to find the perfect change purse/mini-wallet. Here are my picks:

1. Vintage store purses.
When no one's looking, I like to dive into little vintage stores way down Queen West in Toronto or in Vancouver's Gastown. In Toronto, CTS/Vintage Nouveau is my most favourite thrift store (Queen and Spadina) - I have found so many treasures there from every decade, including change purses. Their prices are very reasonable and products are all well-kept, clean and nothing smells like mould (sometimes found in other shops.)

2. Cigarette cases.
When a good friend pulled out a cigarette case at dinner a few months ago, and I was this close to reeling her out about the nasty habit.

"Relax," she said with a laugh, "It's my change purse!"

She opened up her alligator front cigarette case to reveal the perfect spot for a credit card, ID, Metropass and some change. Great for running around from yoga to meeting friends.
The even better part? She found it at a dollar store.

3. Kate Spade pineapple coin purse.
Kate Spade? Check.
Looks like a purse and a is functional? Check?
Sequins? Check.
A girl can dream? Check - this is if I had disposable funds in another life. However, H&M is constantly making cheeky printed change purses which are a much better price point for many ladies.

4. Fortune cookie purse.
Remember to always shop around some of the tourist spots in your city - you never know what kind of treat you may find, usually for a good price and very functional! In Toronto, our Chinatown is teaming with little stores that sell just about everything, including interesting change purses.

PS this is totally off-topic, but you should check out my review of Mark Berube's show in Toronto from earlier this month on The Take Media.com! You'll definitely need to check out his music and this would be the perfect situation to take your new fashionable change purse with you!

1 comment: