Saturday, February 12, 2011

varjak.


I got the mean reds bad today.

Holly Golightly: You know those days when you get the mean reds?
Paul Varjak: The mean reds, you mean like the blues?
Holly Golightly: No. The blues are because you're getting fat and maybe it's been raining too long, you're just sad that's all. The mean reds are horrible. Suddenly you're afraid and you don't know what you're afraid of. Do you ever get that feeling?
Paul Varjak: Sure.
Holly Golightly: Well, when I get it the only thing that does any good is to jump in a cab and go to Tiffany's. Calms me down right away. The quietness and the proud look of it; nothing very bad could happen to you there. If I could find a real-life place that'd make me feel like Tiffany's, then - then I'd buy some furniture and give the cat a name!

Although I've seen this movie a hundred times, today was the first time that I really understood what Holly was saying. I was out walking after reviewing an exhibit when my feet just stopped. My brain froze. My feet glued themselves to the concrete.

I was terrified, but yet nothing was happening to me that could scare me. People were shoving past me, grunting angrily, "What the hell are you doing?" and "Move lady!"

Did the future really just slap me in the face and stop me in my tracks?

It felt like eternity while I just stood there. The mean reds took over my body.

Somehow, my feet regained consciousness, and I wiped a tear or two trying not to smudge my makeup. Where was my "Tiffany's"? Hysteria was taking over my mind - but I then got an idea.

Thank goodness for good friends who are only a phone call (and unfortunately a few hundred miles) away.

"How are you today Portiana?" she said after the second ring.
"I'm fine. Do you have a few moments to talk?" said I.
"For you, all day."

No comments:

Post a Comment