Tuesday, February 1, 2011

prowl.

Check out my article for my fashion journalism class!
STYLE STAR: TORONTO STREETS

Someone wise once said,“Everyday is a fashion show and the world is your runway,” which is appropriate with our culture’s obsession with street style.

Therefore, on a chilly weekend, I decided to go hunting for some stylist people. Armed with my camera and an extra-hot coffee, I thought I would find my prey all over Toronto.
En route to Liberty Village, I found my first catch: blonde woman in her early 30’s trotting a fringe satchel and oversized glasses about to cross John Street. As I ran over to take her photo, she flipped open her phone to accept a call. Disheartened, I grabbed a quick “creeper” shot of her – but with a turn of her heel, I saw the flash of a red sole of her leopard-print boots.

Inspiration, thanks for calling.

Any fashion girl knows a Christian Louboutin when she sees one, and I’m certain this woman was wearing the five-inch, “Big Lips Booty” designer shoe. While hipsters tramped along in combat boots, this woman looked effortless in her heels.

My coffee cold, and my camera (sadly) dying, I headed south toward Richmond Street and Spadina Avenue.

On cue, a woman in her early 50’walked by me wearing a leopard-print coat.

She got away from me too fast to catch her, but I was lucky, having my camera phone out and catching a quick shot. Her coat was a light, champagne-coloured leopard with a smaller print. Between her and Louboutin woman, neither of their leopard prints screamed “look at me”, but were a casual wink at a neutral pattern.

A day later, I cornered Emma Liut, third-year marketing student at Ryerson University in Toronto, at the Ted Rogers School of Management.

Clad in the Canadian tuxedo (light denim button-up and jeans with riding boots) a touch of leopard in a bag added a subtle pop to her outfit. Even better? Each piece she was wearing was under $100.

Surveying my captures, the link of leopard between each of these ladies made me purr. Perhaps next time, steer away from the black and try out the print – it is subtle, fun and good for the fashion hunters.

No comments:

Post a Comment