Wednesday, March 20, 2013

spectacularly.

Classrooms come in all shapes and sizes. Some have textbooks, others have ballet barres. You may travel there daily, or correspond with someone via Skype.

If there's anything I've learned over the past five years, I'm a teacher, and the world around me is my classroom. 

From teaching dance choreography to professionals and first-time movers to sitting down one-on-one to create a social media strategy for a client, I have so much satisfaction when I see a pupil have that "aha!" moment.

I'm all about experimentation and pushing the boundaries. Not every person learns in the same way, so trying new exercises and drills can make a dramatic difference. I admit it, sometimes I try a new tactic that falls flat on its face.

However, I one of my friends repeated a great quote the other day that has really stuck with me:

"If you're going to fail, fail spectacularly." 

Last night, I took a chance in my beginner dance class by giving them an exercise I normally practice with my advanced students. Personally, I was something even I find tough to do, and I have been dancing and teaching for over 15 years. 

These women, many of whom have never danced before the beginning of 2013, listened attentively, harnessed actually what I was looking for, took my explanation and left their hearts on the studio floor. 

One lady came up to me after class and said that was the most incredible she has ever felt dancing. I put my arms around her and fought back tears. 

She, along with so many others, is turning a corner and getting it. I'm so honoured to be a part of this process. 

Whether it's in the office or a dance studio, these moments as a teacher are what drives you to continue doing it. 

Just a thought. 




No comments:

Post a Comment