Monday, December 10, 2012

pausing.

Looking back at 2012, this has easily been one of the best years (so far) of my life.

Some incredible opportunities have come my way personally and professionally, and I'm happy to say that I feel like I've been able to take full advantage of as many as I could.

Although the tweets, photos and posts may seem like this year was smooth sailing, there were definitely some down moments. There were a couple of rough days (and weeks) where no one was calling me back about any job prospects, dance gigs or things to do.

Maria Shriver spoke at the University of South California earlier this year about the "Power of Pause". This video came across my path on one of my down days, and reset the tone for my approach to life.

Shriver spoke to the communication graduates about slowing down, and instead of jumping on the "fast forward" lane, to instead, pause.

"Pausing allows you to take a beat - to take a breath in your life. As everybody else if rushing around like a lunatic out there, I dare you to do the opposite," said Shriver. 

I can see where she is coming from, however, with the financial pressures of paying for your rent, utilities, and well, just trying to have a life, how can we pause?

That's when I put two and two together. Pausing doesn't mean having to run away on a vacation. Maybe pausing means still working, still trying to figure it all out and still giving everything a chance.

This philosophy helped me I take some risks this summer. I didn't marry myself to anything that would have kept me away from projects I wanted to pursue (like working the Olympics). My pause included working as much as I could, doing anything - writing, life guarding, choreographing - but with a goal in the future I wanted to reach.

Having the stability of the work and power to call the shots before the Games gave me a refreshed and clear mind heading into that period of time.

I thought I would have no work after London 2012, and still took a risk to stay in Toronto. Since then, I've had the chance to participate in so many interesting projects and gigs. Had I moved home or taken the "safe" path, I wouldn't have had any of those opportunities.

In so many ways, I think I'm going through another "pause". I know a heck of a lot more about what I want to do now, and 2013 will be my year to attack those goals head-on.

If you have 20 minutes, I highly recommend listening to Shriver's whole speech. Even if you're en route on your path of life, it still puts things into perspective.



No comments:

Post a Comment