Monday, October 29, 2012

toula.

We all know that famous line from My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Toula's father constantly says  "every word comes from Greek," throughout the film.

It's hard to believe that little film came out 10 years ago, but I remember sitting in the theatre with my family at this little independent film.

Even though my brothers and I grew up in California, my parents still made sure we knew about Canada and references that were Canadian.

In so many ways, in my household, if something was brought up, my father would nine times out of 10 say, "did you know there's actually a Canadian connection to that?"

Needless to say, you can imagine their shock and delight when we're sitting in the the Park Theatre in Lafayette, California watching Toronto projected across the screen in My Big Fat Greek Wedding. 

Even better, most of it was shot in the neighbourhood we lived in during the first few years of my life.

Now I'm living here. I went to Ryerson University, which was used as a set for a community college, and most of my classes took place in the exact same building used in the film.

Every once in awhile I find myself walking around, and I notice a store, a scene or what not and can't quite place where I saw it. It happened this weekend when I walked past a wedding dress shop.

Nearly every time it's from My Big Fat Greek Wedding. 

Things do come full circle. Maybe that little movie was an echo from long ago about what my life might look like.

Maybe, it's all Greek to me.

Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment