Wednesday, July 11, 2012

newsy.


"So what shows do you watch?"


I'm finding that in both the dating and friendship worlds, this question keeps coming up more and more. Just like political mindsets, taste in music and areas of the city both divide and bring us together - I arguably can say the same about TV shows.

But it's not just the ones we get on basic cable, (Yes, I admit to watching some reality shows when I'm near a TV...ahh the joys of no cable) but also those on the specialty networks. Yes, I'm talking about HBO, but also AMC, MTV, CBC and more.

Recently, I have found both HBO's Girls and The Newsroom have sparked a number of arguments between truth and TV-land glamour of the shows between friends.

Since I dabble in the reality of this simulated worlds, I try to put on my journalist hat as an outsider and hear what my reporter friends, normal friends, superiors and colleagues all think. There have been a matter of opinions, and some I definitely do and do not agree with.

When meeting someone for the first time, I find the inevitable "Do you watch Mad Men?" question always comes up. Now, I love John Hamm just as much as the next girl, but I am sorry to say that I have never taken the time to get into the show. I want to, but just need access.

Some people at this point may take another hesitant sip of their drink and change the subject.

So is this what we have changed to? The fictional lives of our favourite characters in television shows are synonymous with those in reality? We love to follow a storyline, ponder and analyze the lives and decisions of characters - and more than ever, they have become a part of our real lives too.

I gotta watch more TV.

Just a thought.

PS this is my current obsession du jour - The Newsroom. I saw a sneak peek of the pilot last month through a contact, and am absolutely lapping up each episode now. Check out the trailer below.


No comments:

Post a Comment