Saturday, June 30, 2012

saving_grace.


This is the first year I'm in Toronto for Canada Day (well, as an adult that is...), so I am definitely looking forward to soaking in the festivities this city has to offer.

There's nothing short of fun things happening here this weekend; Pride Week, the Contemporary Italian Film Festival (apparently Woody Allen's next film, To Rome With Love is premiering tonight) and of course, fireworks to celebrate our nation's birthday.

I was very lucky to have this weekend off, and thus the time to indulge in one of my favourite city traditions - brunch.

My friend Kendra and I stopped by Saving Grace (905 Dundas, at Dundas and Grace Street) for a late morning bite today.

Having heard a ton of hoopla about how good the food was, I was half suspicious and half excited for this.

I was pleasantly surprised by both the menu and the aesthetic of the restaurant - the food was interesting and nuvo without being too pricey. Interesting without being too "out there" for a brunch palate.

Let's admit, most of us were up much too late the night before, maybe or maybe not dancing on a rooftop patio...and just want a cup of coffee and something we can't necessarily make at home.

I had waffles with strawberries and a rosewater custard. However, it was tough choice between that and pancakes made with dark chocolate, olive oil and served with sour cherries. I'm very inspired to play around a bit more with my food (even in the AM!)

Needless to say, I'll definitely be making a second visit to Saving Grace. The only piece of advice I would give? If you're going on a weekend, be prepared to wait for a bit for a table. I'm planning to go on a weekday next to see if it makes a difference.

As Carrie Bradshaw infamously said, "Life is what happens when you're waiting for a table."

I unfortunately didn't take any photos because I was enamoured with the food, but thank goodness BlogTO has some! (Photo above)

Happy Canada Day. Have a fun and safe weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment