Monday, June 25, 2012

joplin.


I have been on a hardcore rock steady kick lately.

If I had it my way, I would have loved have been my age maybe a few decades earlier when rock music was very radical (and also, just so good).

There are some fantastic artists today, but I have a real soft spot for the days of crazy hair, wild voice pitches and heavy, heavy metal/guitar.

Having worked as a music writer in Toronto for the past few years, I have been lucky enough to go to some very cool venues and also see various bands live.

Many of these bands are still in the early stages of their career, while others I've seen are well on their way.

However, there are few to hit a chord with me the same way Guns 'n Roses, Janis Joplin and Bon Jovi did while growing up. There are moments when I really start to wonder, "where did all the good music go?"

Then I look back at my current music collection. Whatever your opinions may be, I have a feeling that I'll be looking back at Lana del Rey, Mumford and Sons and more from this generation as the classics. Who knows where we will be in 10 years music-wise.

I keep going to shows, taking notes and am confident (and know) the new classics will come alive in the future.

Until then, the classic rock gods are unparalleled.

Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment