Tuesday, May 22, 2012

tutu.

I have been blessed to have a very cool part-time job throughout university lifeguarding at the National Ballet School of Canada.

The facility (and job) combines two of my talents together and I loved being surrounded, hearing and watching so much ballet take place around me. I've been lucky enough to have taken classes and interact with the facility - a dancer's dream.

In honour of the 60th anniversary of the National Ballet of Canada, the National Ballet School was a part of The Tutu Project,. The project was proposed to various patrons of the city to create unique tutu's, the iconic ballet symbol, in whatever why they wanted to express themselves.

While walking around the Word on the Street book and literature festival last fall, I ran into the National Ballet booth and introduced myself as a lifeguard. I had the honour of getting to sign and write a love not on one of the layers of taffeta that was sewn into Juliet's tutu (the yellow layers with two red birds) that the dancer wore to perform Romeo and Juliet in.

Below are a few of my favourite tutu's.





For the backstory on each tutu and to few more, check out the National Ballet's Pinterest board here.

No comments:

Post a Comment