Friday, May 4, 2012

rollingstone.


It's Friday night - what are you up to?

Usually I'm out tearing up Toronto with a few of my girls by my side, but after a long and busy week of moving and what not, I'm taking this weekend off. I have a glass of vin blanc at my fingertips, music turned up and a good book waiting to be read.

Last night was a bit of a different story though, but I'll back up a bit further.

Growing up, I remember when we had Cream of Wheat for breakfast, my dad always asked:

"Do you put the milk or brown sugar on first?"

Of course, my brothers, mother and I all had vastly different opinions and would argue back and forth.

One of my siblings or I would eventually catch on that Dad hadn't said anything yet.

"Okay Dad, what's the answer then? Milk or sugar?"

Without hesitation, my father would raise his hands, assume an air guitar position, and in his best impersonation, sing "Brown Sugar!"

And that's where my Rolling Stones obsession began.

Last night, I was invited to the opening night of "50 years of The Rolling Stones: A Rock & Roll Retrospective Exhibit Opening" at the Analogue Gallery on Queen West. This was a part of the Contact Photography Festival (see I'm making my list happen!), and was the opening night party for the exhibit.


Fellow classic rock fan and my sometimes-mistaken-as-my-sister, friend Cashlyn and I took in the event which featured unseen photographs and Toronto musicians covering the world's greatest rock and roll band's best songs.

It's hard to believe, but 2012 marks 50 years since The Rolling Stones played their first concert. Even better? I just moved and am living close to the El Mocambo, where the band played small shows back in the heyday. Everything about this night was a full circle for me.

This party was as much about the photography - which I lusted for to hang in my new pad - as much as it was about the people there.

Hipsters, fashionistas and Keith Richard-look-a-likes provided almost as much entertainment as the still images.

Before the thunder and rain started to pour, Cashlyn and I watched a few band perform classic hits such as "Sympathy for the Devil", in a narrow backyard with Christmas lights setting the ambiance.

This was one of those warm almost-summer nights where things just felt good, and the people around us were definitely in the mood to celebrate. During one cover, a tall woman who I can only describe as a glamazon, started playing percussion by shaking her arms full of bracelets and clacking around in her five-inch heels.

Every song played hit chords with different people, and it became evident who was a fan of what. This prompted the debate: what's your favourite Rolling Stones song?

"They're all good," said Cashlyn, "Really, they're all classics. Who can pick just one?"

You can probably guess what I'm listening to right now - I have to say it's a definite tie between a few for me, but something always brings me back to one groovy beat.

I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Although I will always put the milk on my Cream of Wheat first, there's something about Brown Sugar that starts me up every time.

Go check out the photo exhibit at the Analogue Gallery from now until May 31, it's definitely worth it!





No comments:

Post a Comment