Tuesday, January 17, 2012

advanced.

"Young women, you're going to be an old woman some day,
don't worry about it. Each decade builds character."
- Advanced Style

Check out the trailer to the latest fashion film, Advanced Style, honouring the older and most stylist women in New York.



I can't help but draw the comparisons to the women (some interviewed are exactly the same) that were also seen in the documentary about New York fashion photographer Bill Cunningham, released last year.

Here's the Bill Cunningham New York trailer.


After going through a semester making a documentary and seeing how much work it took to produce a local and low-key production, I can only imagine how difficult is to be making a feature-film for thousands (or millions) of people to see.

Although we read so much about the fashion world and have access to blogs and behind-the-scenes footage, there's still an air of secrecy and exclusivity behind the runway. I find it fascinating to see how people go about making documentaries about things that don't move per se (i.e. clothes stay still unless on a body) and why the world is obsessed with it.

As mentioned in Advanced Style trailer, I agree that many people make fun of those who love fashion and consider them self-centred, ditzy and (I've heard it) dumb. I argue the same point for anyone interested in anything. Sports, farming, food...whatever.

We all have our obsessions, and clothes are just one thing that we see constantly everyday. It doesn't mean that you have to be as cuckoo about the latest collection from Milan as the next person, but remember that they may not give any thought to the next trend in baseball gloves.

Just a thought.

PS I hope I am as carefree as those ladies when I get all grown up!

No comments:

Post a Comment