Saturday, November 19, 2011

shifting.


Over the past 24 to 48 hours, something has changed. I can't see it, I can't touch it, but I can feel it.

I will try my best to describe this, but I can only identify it as an "energy shift".

There have been various points in my life where this feeling has come up. Sometimes it's in preparation or during something I can now look back upon as a turn or defining moment. Other times, it comes during a mundane, everyday task. To be honest, I haven't felt this shift in quite awhile...I think the last time was when I started university in 2008.

Waking up this morning in the same apartment I've lived in for over two years, felt like I was waking up somewhere new. The light through the windows, feeling the wooden floors under my toes, the energy - it's different.

In anticipation of choreographing a few solos and pieces when I'm back in Kelowna, every song has now become a frame for my art. I have an intense desire to create movement and link phrases together.

While walking down the street home last night, I passed by the normal characters I see everyday. A man sitting outside of Starbucks, the woman with her dogs, nurses running in and out of the hospital near my apartment. This time though, their pedestrian movements seemed exaggerated and more prominent, in their blissful unawareness, I started to choreograph right there on the street.

Artists are always talking about inspiration. I've been searching for mine for a few weeks now, and with this shift in mental and physical energy, maybe that's why I'm seeing the world from a slightly different angle.

Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment