Monday, November 21, 2011

comfortable.


Here's a question that may be too big to answer in the span of a blog post.

"Have you ever considered what your real job is?"

Not what you do that makes money. What your job is as an occupant of the planet.

I'll pause for you to sign, groan or whatever other action comes to you...I know you're doing it (I did too in my proofreading). This question even looks heavy in writing, but really made me think.

I just finished a book the other day all about the movement of energy, and why it is that we come into contact with certain people at certain points of our lives. The following day, I read an interview in a magazine where the subject said that she knew she was put on Earth not to be a normal person. In her case, she knew her job was bigger than just existing and going along the trail of life.

This really struck me. We're constantly looking for where we belong, and have been almost all our lives, whether it be inhigh school or the real world...they even feel the same at times.

But how do we know when we found a comfortable place? We shift around physically and mentally all the time, and who is to say that what's right today isn't the same tomorrow?


We all see the world through a different lens - some are clear, sharp and see the surface and straightforward value of somethings. Others have coloured lens that see the creative side, and perhaps an unnatural beauty that has never been brought up before.

Looking back at the decisions I've made and the things I've been drawn to, have all defined a bit of why I think I'm here. As I mention all the time, I struggle with balancing my two greatest passions, journalism and dance. I think I have a medium, and then one side tips. Some say I can't do both. Others say I should integrate them together. Others think I'm a little crazy.

Things would be much more more clear if there obvious success in one or the other. This isn't the case. I choreograph pieces based and inspired on what some would think are mundane activities (the office, walking down a street) but like to add a detail of the unexpected. I want to bridge the art of dance with the real world, in a way that people in both professions can appreciate. We can get lost in the straightforwardness of work, but also completely taken away from reality in art. Where is the centre?

I don't want to be the starving dancer. I don't want to be the workaholic writer.

Maybe I'm here to be the combination. To take the best (and worst) of both worlds, and make it something new. Maybe I'm not supposed to find the centre, maybe I'm just supposed to point it out and trail off to the side instead to showcase a detail of it.

Maybe that's it. Or maybe I'm just crazy.

Either way, it's worth a shot.

Mantra: “You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.” - Wayne Gretzky

No comments:

Post a Comment