Wednesday, September 18, 2013

surrender.


While some have gone back to work, school and commitments with the start of September, I have gone back to the yoga and dance studio. 

After an old injury reared its head earlier this year, I stepped off the mat because I was literally in too much pain. I danced as full as I could, but still held my freedom and ability to just let go. 

After several months of rest, strengthening and revaluation, this is the first week I have truly felt one hundred per cent myself. 

I have written a bit about my relationship with dance - it's what fuels my heart, my release and in a totally unexpected turn of events, has become steady co-career. 

Tonight in yoga class, my teacher was talking about surrendering not just your body to the movements, but also your mind. Earlier this week in dance rehearsal, we spent and entire hour focusing on freestyle movement. 

In both of these cases, you could only move if you felt compelled. Maybe the song didn't do it for you, or maybe it did. Maybe you had a bad day. Maybe you had the best morning in weeks. 

Whatever it is, having two back to back lessons about tapping into that inner surrender has totally changed my perspective this week. 

I think it's helped me finally let go of that fear. Fear of pain, hurt, pushing too far, not going far enough. 

I'm fascinated by the feeling that I'm back, yet I feel like I never left. 

Just a thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment