Tuesday, August 6, 2013

willie.


Forget Daft Punk, Selena Gomez and Jennifer Lopez. Willie Nelson has been on heavy repeat on my summer 2013 playlist.

No word of a lie, it's "On the Road Again" is on my 25 Most Played soundtrack.

Over the last eight months especially, I have had the opportunity to travel and visit, work or take part in a plethora of events across Canada. 

There was a period between February and May I was en route somewhere ever three weeks. In anticipation of each trip, I pulled my favourite red suitcase out of the back of my closet and left it next to my dresser. It reminded me of a small dog waiting by the door to go outside for a walk - my suitcase was begging to be taken out and shown the country. 

This little bag got it's wish - between weekend getaways, weddings, moving, dance opportunities and so much more, I've been a bit of a nomad living out of it. 

A few people have asked how I do it (luckily, I can sleep well in moving vehicles), so I thought it would be fun to share a few of my tips and secrets that help get me from A to B smoothly. 

  • GREYHOUND CANADA - I have taken the Greyhound Bus more times than I can count to visit friends, family and my favourite place in the world, New York City. The express buses have outlets, WiFi, so I can work while en route. TIP: Buy your ticket online for significant savings 
  • HYDRATION - It's important to stay hydrated all the time, but even more so when you're on the move. I always make sure to have a water bottle on me to keep my refreshed and avoid headaches. TIP: Bring a reusable water bottle with you on to the airport and fill it up post-security. You'll avoid the expensive plastic bottles and can refill anytime
  • GET OUTFITTED - Whether I'm heading in to somewhere with sand or snow, I have a travel uniform that has always worked. The trick is to cover either your arms or your legs. For winter, it's long pants with a tank top, and summertime is short with a long-sleeve shirt. This way, you can moderate your temperature with layers. TIP: Always have a scarf/pashmina and sunglasses in your bag. Perfect to wrap around and cover your eyes while catching some zzz's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment