Sunday, August 25, 2013

mohawk.

Everyone has their own rules to abide by when it comes to personal style.

I wholeheartedly agree with having a few, classic great pieces that I've invested in to be the staples of a wardrobe. After that, most of my clothing is eclectic, inexpensive or off the cuff finds from everywhere from Costco to vintage stores. 

My one unbreakable rule? When in doubt, invest in a good haircut. 

Think about it. You wear your hair every single day. Yes, we want to throw it back in a ponytail most days, but with a little effort and time, you can be wearing a potato sack with a great hairstyle and look chic. 

Now, let's turn this on its head - I also have a think for mohawks. 

Nothing wild, but definitely a good faux-hawk on most ladies is glamourous way to mix up your look for a dressy occasion. Example: check out Julianna Hough's coiffure at the Golden Globes below. 


When I was in my second year of university, my hair was just short enough to not get away with doing it everyday. I didn't mind that, but like anyone, sometimes I was running late to class. 

That's when I started to favour my faux-hawk. Trust me, it's not too much for day to day life. In fact, I find it more flattering and a bit more pulled together than a messy pony. 

It took a little bit of time, but I started working with YouTube tutorials before finding my own technique to work with my hair texture (and personal style). I love this video below, I think this might have been one I first worked with. 


Here are two more examples of great mohawk/faux-hawks. Simple, chic and all you see are both these ladies beautiful eyes (even from behind, I'm still looking at Pink's long lashes!) 























There is still a part of my that wants to be a hardcore rocker with a permanent mohawk - I think that might just be my alter ego that comes out when I perform. Who knows? Maybe I'll Miley Cryus up this 'do one of these days...

Happy styling and enjoy the rest of your weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment