Monday, July 8, 2013

richmond.

I'm a list maker. Plain and simple.

Whether it's my to-do list, my favourite songs of the season or goals I want to achieve - I like having things written down and laid out. 

Every summer, I make a list of everything I want to try to see, do or explore in whatever city I'm living in (you can check out my 2013 one here). 

I'm a strong beliver that there aren't  many things more satisfying than crossing tasks off your list.

This past weekend I was lucky enough to do this at the end of the weekend. I stroke off my first goal in July, by visiting the Richmond Night Market. 

With my parents by my side, we got to the market around 8P.M. on Friday night.

We learned two things:

 First, there is no need to come super early. All the stands stay open all night.

Second, if I am ever in them market for coloured contacts, decorative phone cases or interesting jewelry, this is definitely the place to be. I was floored by just how many tents there were of things to buy!

As the sun set, we meandered our way into the food section, and discovered this is where the fun really begins.

<br />

From Chinese to Thai, dessert to brunch, there was literally a taste of every cuisine throughout the food stands.

Overwhelmed by choices and the nature of our growling stomachs, we ordered lamb kebabs to chew on while walking around the food loop.

I found that I wasn't intrigued by the signs and descriptions of the stands, but more so by what the people around us were carrying. In fact, I found that I didn't want to order anything, just in case I saw someone walk by with something more interesting that I might want to try.

When we finally got down to settling on some dishes, I realized we went on the classic "first-timer" meal route. One of the biggest hits at the market is the rotato - literally a potato that has been drilled into a spiral, put on a stick and seasons. It's not a very exotic dish, but definitely a must-try, just for fun.


Between the three of us, we each settled on something different for dinner - a plethora of dim sum, pork buns, noodles and shumai.

 The desserts were in another ballpark altogether. My mother and I were intrigued by the Dragons Hair Candy, which was peanuts, sesame seeds and coconut chopped up and wrapped in white almost candy floss-like string.

When you first bite into the candy it's very soft, with a cotton-like texture. I almost spit it out, but after a moment, realized the heat of your mouth melts the floss and you're left with a delicious bite.

My dad took a totally different approach, instead going for the other dish we kept seeing around the market - the fruit sundaes. One scoop of ice cream and your choice of fruit, all laid on a bed of shaved ice.

I'm a big fan of snow cones, so for me, just having the juices of the strawberries and mango of my dad's sundae with the ice was a major treat.
I think the ice cream was needed, but then I guess it would only be another snow cone...





We left the market full, happy and already planning on what we wanted to try the next time we're back.

My choice? The Asian-inspired nachos I saw on my way out. Kimchi, avocado and tortilla chips? Trust me, they looked pretty awesome.

A great tip we got - if you have access the Vancouver Skytrain, it's the easiest way to get to the Richmond Night Market. You can definitely drive, but jumping off at Bridgeport Station and following the signs was super easy. Within no time, you're there!

The Richmond Night Market happens every Friday through Sunday from throughout the summer until October 14. 

No comments:

Post a Comment