Thursday, February 2, 2012

world.


I have a bit of a beef with the saying "you know, when you get to the real world..."

Hmm. Haven't we been living in that for awhile?

What truly defines what the "real world" is?

I thought it might be what I found after high school. I have had others argue it's the world after university. Others say it's when you get your first real job. Even more say it's when you are first rejected.

My argument is that we've been in this "real world" our whole lives, and passing through different stages of it. There are chapters of school, experiences in rejection on all levels, and things haven't worked out.

However, on the other side, I have been working with industry professionals since I was eight years-old in the dance world, and then at 17 in the journalism world. I've been to auditions and gotten/lost jobs. I've pitched stories to major publications that were crossed out with a big red X, and others were picked up.

Isn't this all real? Or have I been living in fantasy?

I think we've always been in the real world. It may change here and there, but so do our dreams and aspirations.

Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment