Sunday, December 11, 2011

guides.


IT'S HERE!
IT'S HERE!

I'm pleased to present the official Sunrise Junction Holiday Gift Guide, 2011.

The irony in all of this is that my family and I actually gave up giving gifts a few years ago.

Since I'm in Toronto and my brothers were both away on international exchanges in 2009, we missed the holidays together and decided it was best to celebrate the season just as family. No gifts, no pressure.

However, there are a few things that I think would make fabulous presents for the family that we are adopting this holiday season. My mother taught us at an early age that we are all the same, so why is it the less privileged didn't get to eat sugary cereal too? In that, I always brought Fruit Loops on food collection days during elementary school.

Similarly to Christmas, what would be something really special to get, even within a reasonable price range?

Whether it be for your mother, sister, friend or a stranger - these are a few of my picks that can be individualized and personalized for whomever is on your list.

An Ork Poster of Your Home City.

I dream of one day having San Francisco, Toronto and Vancouver each framed in my living room.

Cost: $22 each, Ork Posters

Social Experiment Cocktail Ring

I recently stumbled upon Vancouver-based designer Georgia Heraty's Etsy site by chance and fell in love with her pieces. All her jewelry is inspired by the west coast, ocean, and nature - very homey to me after growing up in California and British Columbia.

My favourite piece is this starfish ring. Simple, elegant and sweet.

Cost: Prices vary, Social Experiment Etsy

Anthropologie Monogrammed Mug.

Being the child of very few personalized merchandise (I was always finding Patricia, not Portia) I love the idea of having something a little bit unique. There's something very special about opening up the cupboard in the morning and getting the cup that is yours, and only yours. No one else has your name here.

Cost: $8, Anthropolgie


Lingerie: The Evolution of Seduction Book.

Passing through the bookstore the other day I noticed the iconic picture used for the cover of this book and couldn't resist flipping through the pages. I've always loved the detailing of classic French corsets, lace and little details - this book is a treat for the eyes!

Cost: Approximently $20, Chapters/Indigo Books

Brass Moustache Bottle Opener.

This the spurge of the list - I have seen simpler versions of this corkscrew/bottle opener in black at various boutiques and nick knack stores (I believe Urban Outfitters may also carry a version) but fell in love with the gold colour of this one.

However, you have two options here:
1. Buy the nearly $100 version and have it for life. It's a fun staple to classic bar that some of us are starting to set up in our homes (gah we are getting old!)
2. Find the more inexpensive black plastic version and spray paint gold. Similar effect, less cash.

Cost: $98, Jonathan Adler


Cupcake Chardonay and/or Red Velvet Wine.


This is a treat of a wine to bring to a gathering. I had the pleasure of sharing the bottle of Red Velvet with some lovely ladies - it's sweet, perfect with simple cheeses and crackers.

Cost: $14.95 plus time with your friends.

A Special Breakfast.

I'm a big believer that sharing time with family and friends can be one of the greatest gifts of all. With our busy schedules, who has time to catch up besides a quick email or Facebook message? When we actually get together, that time is so precious.

Even better, who doesn't love brunch? I found these pancakes on my new favourite food blog, Raspberri Cupcakes, and had to share. I would recommend a breakfast date to make these pancakes, which are peppermint . Yum, yum, yum.

Cost: Time and ingredients.



Hope this helped, inspired or maybe gave you an idea for any last minute gifts!

In a pinch, a simple card with a personalized message is always the best gift to give. We don't use our kind words enough - compliments are free, give a few away today.

Happy Holidays!

1 comment:

  1. These are great gift ideas! love the bottle opener! :) I think it's awesome that your family doesn't exchange gifts. Shopping for everyone can be so stressful!

    ReplyDelete