Monday, November 8, 2010

moi.

I know it's only a week after Halloween, but still, invitations are coming out for the holidays, the Christmas windows are up at Holt's and you're taking study breaks to go down to St. Lawrence Market to munch on macaroons with your girlfriends. However, amiss this fun and such, you're going to have to spend some time in the library writing papers and prepping for final exams (PS you're going to need a good playlist).

However, I've always wanted to be a journalist in the hopes of helping other people be able to understand events happening around them or half a world away. When I'm not focusing on political issues, snappy TV writing and features for school, I love being able to give my readers a little treat and how to of fun pieces in life. Merci merci for coming to visit my little blogette!

After dinner with a friend the other night and we talked about who we are as people and trying to figure out more about who we are. It feels like so many friends are running in five thousand directions, but I'm still quite static. I'm dancing across a line, and as I like to put it, being selfish and trying to figure out who I am. As my friend and I talked about this line, we thought about whether we are repressing who we might really be in the case of what's fashionably "trendy" and what men consider desirable. Well, that's all find and dandy, but after one too many years of listening to the music that everyone has "loved" but I didn't like (so to speak), I'm done.

I'm girly. I love pink, glitter and classic rock music. I identify with very feminine things and I still like to act like a lady who lunches with my friends. In the words of C.S. Lewis, "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me". I love to dance, to do yoga, wear high heels, drink wine and listen to Lady Gaga way too loud. I've dated a plethora of different kinds of men and liked different things about them all. Maybe I'm too commercial. Maybe I dive too far under the surface of avant-garde art, dance and literature.

I am who I am. You are who you are. It takes time to figure yourself out, and that's the most important relationship to watch, think and take care of.

Hope you have an amazing week and make sure to indulge in a little bit of who you are everyday.




3 comments:

  1. your best blog yet. hands down.
    you are a writer at heart, and you need to keep it up pretty lady.
    ily xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:51 AM

    I love it Portia!! (this is Jen, btw). So inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merci merci ladies! :)

    ReplyDelete