Wednesday, November 17, 2010

almost.


I just finished a fantastic book called Valley of the Dolls. I originally saw it at Urban Outfitters as a "cool cover book" and ended up finding it at a cute books store in the Annex for next to nothing. I starting reading and fell into the story, and amiss all the schoolwork I have been doing, I've been hardly able to tear my eyes away. Written in the 1960's, the characters are just so good, and the story is so close to the Hollywood glamour scene we know and live in today. The ending half took my breath away but was so realistic and plausible that I applaud the author Jacqueline Susann for her eye and artistic choices as a writer.

For those of you who don't know, I read My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult, (I know so many people love her, including my dear friends) and I fell in love with the story. I wrote a post a couple months back about how unsatisfied I was with her ending of the book, and how I found the same problem with some of Picoult's other novels. I've ready many books between My Sister's Keeper and Valley of the Dolls, and was just baffled by the writing differences. I hate when endings don't make sense. I'm a journalist and need things to be honest and real.

Got a good book on the brain? I would love to hear about something good to read - I'm hoping to work through the modern classics this year, and will have a list soon of my choices and track progress. However, if you're looking for something interesting and new to sink your eyes into, I highly recommend taking a look at Valley of the Dolls./span>

PS my ladies back home, I'll be bringing my copy home if you would like to borrow it!
PPSThree weeks and two hours until sweet BC.
I'm so excited I can hardly wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment