Friday, October 1, 2010

impromptu.

Sunday mornings are one of my favourite times of the week - sleeping in, too much coffee, recounting last night's festivities and perhaps a bit homework (not my first choice, but c'est la vie) but nighttime is always my hater time of the week. I look over all my work to be done, events and work schedule, have a freak out and then get my cool back.

How about combating that with an impromptu girls dinner night?

This week, I spent the afternoon at my lovely friend Hayley's workplace, The Clay Room on the Danforth, painting a teapot and enjoying the Greek sunshine. Afterwards, she popped by my apartment and we amalgamated different ingredients each of us had to make dinner. It was extremely home-y and got my mind off the crazy week ahead.

How to do impromptu:

look: in your cupboard/fridge and see what you have (of course): If one of you has a good base of ingredients, such as lettuce/romaine, pasta, etc. take it as a jumping off point

delegate: Hayley picked up some nice bread, sun-dried tomatoes and salad fixings. The other two of us used what we had in our own collection and spread things out to see what would work

appies: are fantastic. My roommate Alicia donated her brie cheese, which we baked in the oven with sun-dried tomatoes (her recipe from home) and enjoyed it with crackers while assembling the main dish
She spread the tomatoes on it and baked it in the oven for about 30 minutes.

time: I believe in enjoying your food, so take the time to taste and savour (wow I sound cheesy) and visit with your dinner companions.

assemble: I put together the salad while the other girls chatted. Maybe it's the domestic diva in me, but I love it.

mange:You worked hard and enjoy your creations! Ours was spring salad greens with romaine, sliced grape tomatoes, purple/red onion and homemade red wine vinaigrette. Alongside was some toasted bread, mason jars for water glasses and watching Sister Wives on TLC after.
Desert: It's me, so of course I made cupcakes. Did I take a picture? I forgot and they all got eaten. Next time!

Bored? Have friends? I say have an impromptu dinner. It makes things more interesting and you get social time out of it.

PS happy October! (my favourite month of the year)

1 comment:

  1. good idea!
    how do you get music on your page? that is so awesome!
    oxo

    ReplyDelete