Thursday, September 30, 2010

castle.

Growing up, my parents took my brothers and I on a plethora of adventures. It wasn't to Africa or Japan, but we lived in such a rich-cultured part of California, that we were able to drive to many of the treasures it held in a matter of hours. One of the most memorable was Hearst Castle. William Randolph Hearst was a huge player in the newspaper world in the early 20th century, and along with architect Julia Morgan, designed one of his vacation homes nestled in the hills of Santa Barbara. It even included a zoo with zebras, giraffes and more animals that you dream about encountering as a kid.

I loved Hearst Castle on our trip - seeing the pools made my day and I still have those vivid memories of looking out the window of the shuttle bus, climbing above the fog down the hill. This is one of those days in my life that cemented my love and interest in art and architecture/media, and gave me such a sense of nostalgia when I saw these pictures pop up on my Google Reader.

Thanks Mom and Dad - this castle was fantastic and I loved our travels.






*Pictures from Apartment Therapy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment