Friday, October 29, 2010

bricks.


Like so many, it feels like there are never enough hours in the day to get work, school, stories, shop for dinner, work out, have a life, breathe and sleep. However, sometimes you get those days where you've tried something super awesome - whether it's school-related or not, and that light at the end of the tunnel gets a little brighter.

I have written about this before, but I'm a huge fan of Randy Pausch and The Last Lecture. (if you haven't watched THIS, pour yourself a glass of wine and get ready for a treat). I find that I his notes and quotes come up so much in life, and in my journalism class. In particular I'm thinking about my TV production class, where we have some of the best stories, but also the most drama getting them working with others and more.

I think this one sums up how many of us feel on the typical Friday after a broadcast:

"Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want something badly enough. They are there to keep out the other people."

Also loving these two. I got to remember these more when I'm out with a crew or working trying to get people in line:

Work and play well together.
- Tell The Truth. All The Time. No one is pure evil.
- Be willing to apologize. Proper apologies have three parts: 1) What I did was wrong. 2) I’m sorry that I hurt you. 3) How do I make it better? It’s the third part that people tend to forget…. Apologize when you screw up and focus on other people, not on yourself.
- Show gratitude. Gratitude is a simple but powerful thing.
- Find the best in everybody…. Wait long enough, and people will surprise and impress you. It might even take years, but people will show you their good side. Just keep waiting.
- If you want to achieve your dreams, you better learn to work and play well with others…[you have] to live with integrity.

Collaboration, treating others with respect.
- Never found anger a way to make things better.
- How do you get people to help you? You can’t get there alone. People have to help you and I do believe in karma. I believe in paybacks. You get people to help you by telling the truth. Being earnest. I’ll take an earnest person over a hip person any day, because hip is short term. Earnest is long term.
- Loyalty is a two-way street.
- Get a feedback loop and listen to it. Your feedback loop can be this dorky spreadsheet thing I did, or it can just be one great man who tells you what you need to hear. The hard part is the listening to it.

You guys all rock. We're halfway done our broadcasts and how wicked is it that we get to produce such cool material. Happy Halloween and have a fun/safe weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:32 AM

    Ah Portia!
    Loving your blog, as usual.
    I seriously look forward to the days when I have a little time to catch up on all of your latest posts.

    Where do you find allll of your fantastic photos?

    I look forward to some fall rigid pictures...

    xx
    B

    ReplyDelete