Sunday, April 7, 2013

teaching.

We all know this infamous  George Bernard Shaw quote, "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

I don't hate a lot of things, but I strongly dislike this quote. I think it's too broad to be a universal opinion for teachers.

I think many of us can agree that we've had great and not-so fantastic teachers/professors growing up and throughout university.

There are many professions where at a certain age, your body physically cannot take on the demands of your career. As a dancer and morning newshound, people in both my fields have told me they are not sure how many more years their body can take it.

When these people physically can't, many turn to teaching. It's not a downgrade, they are are strong enough to change the course. They can, and will continue, just in a different direction.


My favourite dance teachers and choreographers all danced for years - whether or not they got a role on Broadway or danced with Britney Spears, they have epic stories from behind the scenes. That's where I learned my biggest lessons.

The same goes for university professors. I took a sociology class where my professor had done everything from painting houses in Australia to serving with the army in Kuwait. Those stories which were woven into lessons plans, and are better than anything we can got from the textbook.

My other favourite brand of teachers are those who continue their craft, and also teach.

In high school, my history teacher did not like the textbook the school district had provided (as he was actively doing research in his field), so he wrote his own textbook for the class. I am constantly in the studio with teachers who just performed at a big event or were on tour with an artist. They can give us the most valuable tips and technique from their experience.

At the end of the day, I'm a teacher. It all started in a small dance studio when I was 16 with little girls in tutus, and has evolved into teaching open dance classes for 300 people or personal clients looking to grow their businesses.

No matter where my work has led me, the universal thread has always been teaching.

Let's throw away George Bernard Shaw's quote. We are all capable and can be professionals in our craft. Those who can, teach. Those who can't anymore, teach from their experience when they could.

I hope my work can be a mix of both of the kinds of teachers I greatly admire. A teacher not only with an active hand in their industry, but with an open mind to grow.

Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment