Thursday, April 11, 2013

speigel.



Not only is this little video quite special, so is the song which accompanies it.

"Spiegel im Speigel", as performed by the Bergen Philiharmonic Orchestra, the Berlin Philarmonic Wind Quintet and the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra, was used in the modern piece, "White Light" choreographed by Viktor Kabaniaev for Moving Arts Dance.

A few weeks after watching professional dancers Holly Morrow and Devon LaRussa perform this piece, I knew I wanted to study modern movement. I dedicated myself to training five to six days a week as an apprentice to Moving Arts Dance throughout my sophomore year of high school. From Graham floorwork to Alvin Ailey-inspired Afro-Cuban, I couldn't get enough of this new form of movement.

I learned several variations of the company's choreography, including the "White Light"(watch two of my colleagues performing it on YouTube here).

Even though it's been six years since my apprenticeship, whenever I hear those first few notes of "Spiegel im Speigel", my ears perk up and body falls right into the choreography. It's a piece of music that sticks with you.

Just a little moment from today.

No comments:

Post a Comment