Tuesday, April 2, 2013

sophomore.

The Dancers Among Us by the incredible Jordan Matter 
While most people were at home decorating cookies and the house this past Christmas, I was in the dance studio, choreographing. To me, it's just another home I was thrilled to be back in.

Now several months later, the choreography I set then will premiere this weekend in British Columbia at the Shine Dance Competition.

After a successful run through the competition circuit last spring, I'm very excited to see how my choreography does in its sophomore year.

Over lunch last week, one of my best friends asked me the most difficult (and frequent) question I have gotten over the past year.

"Portia, where do you come up with your dance concepts? How did start doing choreography?"

<br />
I sat back in my chair, folded my arms, and really thought about this. Where do these stories, analogies and movements come from?

I had to give her my generic answer." "I don't really know, most of the time, it's what I'm feeling."

However, I've now realized most of my work is inspired by something I've seen or heard. It's literally stuck in my brain until I've created a response to it.

Artists in all realms create work or are inspired by things happening in the world around them at that moment, socially, politically or the like. Even if we may not know it at first, there is a motivation behind  each stroke, movement and word.

Looking back at my choreography, I have found a range of work. It includes everything from broken hearts, to Batman versus Catwoman, to my take on Beyonce doing contemporary dance.

While most choreographers have a signature style, I find that can get repetitive. If all your work looks the same, we aren't pushing the boundaries of our art.

Subway inspiration. From The Dancers Among Us by Jordan Matter 
I've now noticed how my inspiration literally comes from the world around me. Sometimes when I'm on the subway, the way someone is standing or moving around the car to get to a seat can translate into an interesting floor sequence. After watching a parade with giant flags, I found a giant piece of tulle that I have a soloist interacting with and waving around like it's in the wind.

As for Batman and Catwoman? That inspiration is still a secret to me. Sometimes your inspiration, planning and concept has to put aside, and you work with the personalities of your artists in motion. That particular afternoon in the studio, two contemporary dancers became these classic characters.

One of my students whom I have worked with for several pieces, said to me this past Christmas, "When you walk into the studio with Portia, you never really know what you're going to get. It's that mystery that I like."

Looking back at video of my recent classes, I have used everything from Guns 'n Roses to Enrique to Rihanna for choreography. Hey, they say variety is the spice of life right?

I'm very excited to bring my work back to Kelowna, B.C. for The Vibe Dance Competition and place a new phrase on the dancers auditioning for scholarships. It's going to be a wild weekend of dance, and I can't wait to see who and/or what inspires me next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment