Friday, April 5, 2013

roger.


"I believe that if, at the end, according to our abilities, we have done something to make others a little happier, and something to make ourselves a little happier, that is about all the best we can do. 

To make others unhappy is a crime. To make ourselves unhappy is where all crime starts. 

We must try to contribute joy to the world. 

That is true no matter our problems, our health, our circumstances. 

We must try. 

I didn't always know this, but I am happy I have lived long enough to find out." 

- Roger Ebert (1942-2013) 


Roger Ebert is one of the people that made me want to be a writer, and I didn't even realize this until  halfway through my university degree in journalism. 

During my undergrad, the journalism students were all required to take a classes in feature and profile writing during the first two years of school. 

One of my professors made us read this Esquire piece about Roger Ebert (take a few moments to read it today if you can). I remember moaning and groaning how how long it was. 

This is not only my favourite profile, but also one of my favourite pieces of journalism. Ever. 

After reading it, I decided two things. First, I would never take anything for granted, especially with my health and work. We do not know what's waiting around the corner. Act now, write now, dance now.  

Second, I realized there is only so much as a writer you can draw out of a person during an interview. Your subject must meet you halfway. If the shoe is on the other foot, I want my life story to be full of detail, anecdotes, and interesting testimonials from peers. 

His death yesterday made me come back to these points. I'm going to continue to try. If I can bring joy to one person through what I do, then maybe I can continue to be one step closer to the kind of person Mr. Ebert wants us all to be. 

Rest in peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment