Tuesday, July 19, 2011

resist.


My yoga teacher said something really interesting in class this evening.

"We cannot fight change. Resist it, yes, but at the end of the day, the fight can make us weaker."

Well this put me in a bit of a funk. Somewhere between the bird-of-paradise and happy baby poses, all I could think was about things I wanted to change, but may physically or mentally not have the capability to do. But yet, things I can't control are changing around me all the time.

As I was pulsing my foot against the ground, bind with my arms around my back, I figured it out and gave in. It's been said before - you can't change fate but you can embrace what the challenge may be in that moment.

My teacher said to practice tonight like it was your last yoga class ever. I decided to challenge myself and do a full bird-of-paradise. I thought I could fail miserably, but tonight, I was able finally make it up on my bad leg.

Change isn't the enemy, it's out resistance that can be.

Just a thought.

(I got pretty freaked out when I thought about tonight being my last yoga practice, and it made me realize how much I love doing it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment