Thursday, July 28, 2011

house.


Something has gotta be said about throwing all caution to the wind and throwing yourself out there. Trying new things is extremely nerve-wracking, especially in a public forum.

This summer I've been immensely blessed with work, dance and precious, precious time that I've gotten to spend with my family and friends.

However, it's thrown some curve balls, and as much as I didn't want to do some of the things that have come up, in the end they've been fantastic.

This is a small example, but tonight I was invited to jump in on a House dance class at my studio. House dance is the general "groove" if you will that you see in the clubs or even just cool people on the street, sometimes with some break dance mixed in.

House dance looks easy, but is difficult to master as we're trying to look like you're not trying while you're trying really hard.

Oh and have fun.

I took a House class when I first moved to Toronto and loved the instructor but felt like I failed. Some of those guys were just so good.

When the opportunity came up for class tonight, my initial reaction was "I'm no good at that. I'm a contemporary girl".

But I took the class anyway.
And you know what?
It was beyond fun.

I spend so much of my time teaching and taking classes in my own realm of dance that stepping out of it, even for just an hour makes me appreciate my craft and the skills of others that much more.

So my challenge for you is to take a risk this week (not life-threatening, don't make me go all lifeguard on you). But do something that scares you. I know I looked like an idiot doing some of those moves, but the feeling afterward it worth more than money.

Try, try, try,

No comments:

Post a Comment