Thursday, January 6, 2011

eerie.

For whatever reason, I just can't get the theme song of Swan Lake (now the track of the blogette) or the eerily beautiful film The Black Swan out of my head. The costumes, the dancing, the dark beauty - obviously this is one of my favourite films this year.

I think what's really happening is that it made me fall back in love with ballet. It's the roots, the "vegetables" of dance. We might not like it all the time, but you know it's good for you. By having a strong grasp on classical ballet technique, I believe one is able to express themselves even more creatively than originally thought. There physical and mental strength with dance, whether it be ballet, jazz, modern, hip hop...which an artist can really express if they are comfortable in their basics.

I absolutely respect and valuable the gifts of all athletes, but there's something about dance that really clicks with me - perhaps its the stories behind each movement. I'm a journalist, and dance in all its forms, is writing through movement for me.

The extra tidbit/challenge? You have to make everyone believe that what you're doing is effortless, and most of the time with a smile on your face.

If Natalie Portman doesn't win the Oscar for best actress, I'll be sad. She was brilliant, and did such justice to the dance world.

No comments:

Post a Comment