Saturday, August 2, 2014

women.

Yay for a sporadic blog post!

It's already August...one of my most favourite months of the year. I feel in the deep of summer and am so pleased with the adventures, work and opportunities I've been able to experience so far. I can't wait to see what this month brings. 

One of the biggest things I've come to a complete recognition with is being a woman.

Hear me out.

I'm a self-professed girls girl. I've always been drawn to very feminine energy, actions, causes, art and style.

Since I was a child, I knew exactly what dress I wanted to wear, princess and beautiful things I wanted around me and music I wanted to listen to. It was very, very girly. Unapologetically.

Obviously, I've grown up, but over the past year, I've felt (in the wise words of Britney Spears) somewhere between "not a girl, but not yet a woman."

Since January 2014, I've met some very strong, intelligent and empowering women in both the social media and dance communities. They are the epitome of women - they build each other up, have supported me, and at the end of the day, have taken me for who I am.

On the artistic side, I've found that I'm most drawn to working with women, choreographing and teaching women, and telling their stories. I'm a very feminine dancer, and I've completely embraced that. I can try to be funky and masculine when the performance and director asks for it, but personally, I recognize and love being able to move like a woman and celebrate my body and technique in it daily.

A wise, beautiful role model of mine said to me once, "Your beauty is enough and stillness is power."

I hold these words close to me. Ladies, always remember, you are majestic. You are completely you and don't have to be anything but that.

That's all. Cheers to a beautiful long weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment