Thursday, January 30, 2014

lovers.

Four months ago, I remember being in a the studio for The Lovers Cabaret auditions for "Lovers of Marley" and screwing up every single piece of the choreography.

It had been awhile since I being challenged in a new "style"of contemporary movement, and I felt like was letting my good friend (who was also the producer) down.

I gave it my all, but to be honest, I just accepted I was just not going to make it. 

I must have done something right...I was cast in the ensemble and was approached to take part in a choreography mentorship to have a piece in the show. I'll never know why the judging panel chose me, but I'm beyond honoured, even though that was months ago!

One week from right this moment, we will have finished our first performance of Lovers of Marley.

The process of working with a cast of dancers and choreographers essentially unknown to me (and I to them) has been extremely refreshing. Even better? As our comfort levels have grown with each other, this group of women have taken me for exactly who I am - twerking, silly, weird Portia and all.

This show will be unreal. From what I've seen it really is a work of art, celebrating not only the life of one of music's biggest icons, but also so many different women from his day and ours.

I love watching dancers of all different shapes, colours and from various training perform choreography from all over the spectrum to pure reggae.

Thank you to so many for your support throughout this process. I can't wait to perform for you next Thursday, February 6 and Saturday, February 8 at The Rickshaw Theatre.

One love.

No comments:

Post a Comment