Tuesday, June 14, 2011

age.


I heard a great quote today: "Act your age, not your shoe size."

Daily, especially through social mediums like Twitter, inspiration and quotes can come at you so fast that there's hardly any time to process the meaning of many. I'm usually a sucker for the longer, poetic verses about life, love and friendship.

But there's been so many instances with people I know, heard about and interacted with in the past week that this saying applies to. Yes, age is all but a number, but I am dumbfounded with some of the juvenile and immature actions of some of the professionals that I once looked up to.

I know we all act silly and childish at times, and there's always things that we don't want to do and could have our parents just do it. But at the end of the day, what if you're the parent there? Trust me, it's not lost on us 20-somethings that some people are acting like kids. We run their summer day camp programs every summer, teach them swimming and art lessons and babysit them. We know. I don't like to tell anyone to do anything, but this time I gotta. Some of you older folks must step your behaviour up.

You don't have to let go of fun and child-ish wonder and that lust for life, but let go of the pettiness, the behaviour, temper tantrums (trust me, I've encountered it with adults) and be the best person you can actually be.

Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment