Sunday, April 3, 2011

part 1.

"Portia, we're wannabe foodies," my friend said to me halfway between slurping a long strand of pasta.

I looked up at her and realized that this is indeed true. My fashion dreams aren't dead, but the thrill I used to get from writing about fashion daily has dwindled a little in the past couple of months. Don't get me wrong, I'm still obsessed and have every "It" blog on my Google Reader, but something just hasn't been clicking right.

However, I would never call myself a foodie - but maybe there are different types of them. Mostly, I want to continue exploring and try lots of interesting restaurants. I get my thrills by dressing up to attend places like this.

Consider this post one of the staycation. I'm exploring my backyard as much as I can.

Candlelight, high bar tables, rustic bread and the menu scrawled across the chalkboard wall - 7 Numbers on the Danforth is was my kind of place.

After sitting down, our waiter slid an iPad menu in front of us (!!!) and we salivated over the choices. We settled on Carciofi fritti (artichokes in tomato sauce), Panzanella (bread salad with tomato, cucumber, roasted peppers, fennel and cheese) and Linguine con gamberi (linguine with Spicy Shrimp) to share. The first two were served while our drinks were still cold, and shortly after our linguine arrived. Bon bon bon.

We have found the secret. Order what you really want and savour slowly. Yes, you can have it all.

I've notoriously been told that tapas/Italian food on the Danforth is horribly expensive, but my friend and I split our bill and paid about $20 each. Of course, on a student budget this isn't attainable every weekend, but my friends are the kinda girls who throw all caution to the wind (and a frying pan out the window nearly once, that may have been me...) and say "let's just go out!"

We did. We feasted, mused and talked about blogs, relationships and wine glasses.

Very la vita e bella.

Be sure to check out 7 Numbers, they have both a Danforth and Eglinton location.

No comments:

Post a Comment