Friday, April 29, 2011

bill.


At the end of a week and almost eve to another month, I have successfully completely two things off my list of "Staycation" activities. These two are a little bit unofficial, but were still on a list nonetheless.

Last night, I received a plus one ticket for a friend to join me at The Acorn's Toronto show. I usually go to these performances alone and/or with a photographer, so it can be weird being the only one not having anyone to talk to during setup and all that jazz. However, it was a lovely show and I was lucky enough to have some company with other writers there as well that I know. Check the Take Media soon for my review!

Secondly, earlier this week I went to see the Bill Cunningham documentary. I've been a huge fan of his New York Times column and snapshots of street style for what seems like forever, so to see the behind-the-scenes view of his life was a real treat. I've never really seen that many documentaries, and I must say, I'm hooked.

Seeing something that was real, even fashion-related, kept myself and my peers in the theatre on the edge of our seats the entire time, craving to know where Bill would ride his bicycle or take a shot of next. Every frame and moment in the film was organic, well-shot and clear. The interviews were snappy, juicy and delicious. As the lights came on, I sat in disbelief that it was over.

For the average Joe, some may say that this movie is "girly" or "too prissy" because it's about fashion, but I argue the opposite. Bill shows how our lives in every way, in every single day revolve around fashion. He just loves clothes, and doesn't care if it's a celebrity wearing them.

‎”Fashion is the armour to survive the reality of everyday life. I don’t think you could do away with it. It would be like doing away with civilization.” - Bill Cunningham


Whether you like fashion or not, it's an interesting film that also encapsulates New York's culture, the history of some of the art's greatest movers and shakers (an snippets of Andy Warhol's films) and women that look just like you and I that are showcased. Bill Cunningham is living proof of art that imitates life and is a true gem of a man.

Check your local theatres! Here's a link to his New York Times videos where he talks about street style. Fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment