Monday, December 20, 2010

newsprint.


It's the most wonderful time of the year, and I'm tying my wee fingers off. I scored an internship with the Kelowna Daily Courier and after two days, wrote six articles. I have three more to write tomorrow, it's super snowy and everyone else is just hanging on Christmas break. Of course I want to just sleep in until noon, but I'm seeing slowly that this might be one of the cementing experiences in my life.

In the journalism program, it feels like we're always fighting with our schoolwork, our mental capacity, maybe competing against one another for that next article, that internship. But I never considered that things might really be like until I dove in. Day one, they hand me three stories plus another one because I'm the new girl. Oh, and those two, due by noon. Get the school district superindepdent on the phone and set up a photo for that other story.

That's all.

This feels good/weird writing this after all the administration/RAMSS crap, but thank you Ryerson journalism. I actually know a lot going in.

In the newsroom, I'm the only:

1. female
2. person under 45
3. student on winter holidays

And they trust me. I'm not going to let them down. There are some awesome stories to be written during the holidays. It might not be incredibly ground-breaking, but on day two, I am managing the Twitter and Facebook page (add it for Kelowna news updates)!

And that front page story on today's paper? Not too shabby.

Sure, I missed that gathering last night, but I think this might really be worth it. I guess the biggest thing I've learned so far - if you see an opportunity, just jump on it. You never know, it might speed away.

No comments:

Post a Comment